Leviton smart switches are known to the user base to be quite reliable and dependent throughout their lifespan. However, from time to time they also run into small hiccups and might refuse to work as intended.
Several problems can result in a Leviton smart switch not working.
These problems include issues with the power, the connectivity, the remote (if any), or the app. Each of these issues has its own set of troubleshooting procedures to be followed. But rest assured. The issues are easily fixed.
This article will tackle most of the common problems faced by users of Leviton smart switches. I will also provide detailed instructions on how to troubleshoot them as well.
Common Causes Behind a Malfunctioning Leviton Smart Switch
There are several problems that can result in a Leviton smart switch not working. These problems can range in various factors, from the power supply to the bugs in the application.
Let’s take a look at some of these causes and problems regarding a Leviton smart switch.
1. Faulty Installation/Damaged or Loose Wiring
If you carried out the installation yourself, and have no prior experience in these sorts of things, it is quite possible that you have made a mistake during the installation procedure of the smart switch.
Or it could be also due to the wires or cables getting damaged due to environmental factors or pest infestation, which could also lead to the Leviton smart switch not working as intended.
Due to wiring mishaps, faulty connections, or loose wiring, not only the smart switch can malfunction, but it could also cause electrical hazards in your household and even electrical fires.
2. Frequent Blinking of the Leviton Smart Switch Bulb
The problem in which the lights on your Leviton smart switch appear to begin flickering without any apparent explanation was one that occurred more frequently than any of the others.
When the lights on a device start blinking rapidly, there is almost never a reason to be optimistic. In point of fact, it can frequently indicate the beginning of an internal issue with the appliance.
In spite of this, the situation with the Leviton smart switch is not nearly as dire as one might fear. In most cases, flashing lights are nothing more than a sign that there is maybe a poor connection to the lamp.
3. Issues with the Remote Control (if any)
If your remote doesn’t switch on the lights, measure the length of the cord. Make sure the wire’s total length is no more than 300 feet and no less than that. In case the length is accurate, check the wiring. The operation of the remote must be hampered by the wiring. If the wiring is the problem, get it fixed as soon as you can.
The green terminal screw in the wall box has to be linked to the green or bare copper wire. If it’s not like that, you should assume your remote’s wiring is broken.
These were a few of the factors that might prevent your Leviton smart switch from functioning properly. If your switch is giving you problems, all you need to do is identify the issue from the list above and then follow the instructions that follow. In a while, your switch will be corrected.
4. Connectivity Issues
Leviton smart switch offline? There could be several factors interfering with the connectivity of the smart switch.
First of all, make sure that your router has access to the internet. Often than not, it is found that the issue lies with the router and not the switch itself.
The second issue could be the band of the internet. You must access the router’s settings.
Verify if you have the 2.4GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi band chosen under the Wi-Fi menu. As often times using the wrong frequency or band can result in the malfunction of the switch.
How to Troubleshoot a Leviton Smart Switch?
There are several ways that you could troubleshoot the Leviton smart switch. I will go through these methods below.
1. Leviton Smart Switch Reset
Oftentimes by simply resetting the smart switch you can fix it without further tinkering of the internals. The steps might vary from resetting an APC surge protector. The steps to resetting a Leviton smart switch are as follows:
How to reset a leviton smart switch?
- Hold the top of the paddle for 7 seconds.
- After 7 seconds the Locator LED will blink amber.
- Release the top of the paddle and the switch will reset.
- Once the switch has reset the Locator LED will blink green.
- If the switch is not responding, updating the firmware will fix this issue.
2. Fixing Connectivity Issues
If you can connect your mobile device to the Decora Smart Wi-Fi device, but you keep getting an error message saying that it can’t enroll, please follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Factory Reset the Decora Smart Wi-Fi device by pressing and holding the top paddle for 15 seconds (until the LED begins to flash red and amber), then release the paddle. After a few seconds, the LED will flash green.
- Pay attention to the Status LED during the remainder of the enrollment process. When you get to the step where the device joins your Wi-Fi network.
- If the LED is solid green (or turns totally out if the light it controls is on), proceed to the section below under “Device displaying as not connected and status LED is green.”
- If the LED flashes amber, double-check that you’ve entered the proper password for the Wi-Fi network you’re using. The password differs depending on the case. You can see the text by pressing the eye symbol to make sure you typed it correctly.
- If your router has 2.4GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi signals on the same Network Name (SSID), try splitting these out into different Wi-Fi network names.
3. Fixing Faulty Connections
It is best to hire a professional for fixing issues regarding the circuitry of the Leviton smart switch. Especially if you do not have the necessary experience to work on these sorts of things.
However, if you have prior experience and a decent guide on how to do this, then you can attempt to fix the issues regarding the power of the smart switch.
Make sure to ensure that the connections are made secure, no exposed wire is visible and that the wires have been connected to the appropriate terminal in a secure manner.
This article discusses in detail the several problems that can result in a Leviton smart switch not working. Alongside providing you with instructions on how to fix these problems.
However, if you suspect that there is an issue with the product, or it is faulty, to begin with, feel free to talk to customer care or Leviton regarding the issue. You could also consult a professional electrician to check the matter thoroughly.