- It is very simple to replace a broken pull chain on a ceiling fan light.
- You can either choose to fix the old pull chain by replacing it with a new chain, if it is salvageable.
- If it is completely damaged, you can easily replace it entirely as well with very simple steps.
Ceiling fan lights often have a pull chain that acts as a switch to turn the light on. Due to many reasons they often malfunction and need to be changed. So, if you are wondering how to fix pull chain on ceiling fan light, there are a few steps that you need to follow.
Remove the damaged section of chain from the ceiling fan’s switch before replacing it with a longer one. If your switch is fully damaged, go to a local hardware store and buy a replacement before removing the old one and installing the new one. To be safe, switch off the power supply before disassembling the ceiling fan.
If you are wondering, “How do I fix the pull chain on my ceiling fan light?”, you have come to the right place. I will go through each of these processes in depth from start to finish throughout this article. So, let’s get started with the procedure of installation.
How To Fix Pull Chain On Ceiling Fan Light
It’s easy to fix a ceiling fan light pull chain that’s been damaged due to use. This guide below will show you everything details with the necessary steps.
1. Turning Off the Power
The first and most important step in installing any electrical component is to disconnect it from all power sources. From how to fix pull chains or how to convert 3 phase to single phase 220v, this step is a must.
How to turn off the power?
- If you want to switch off the electricity from a local circuit breaker, first figure out which circuit breaker supplies power to the outlet you want to turn off.
- The main breaker can also be switched off; however, this will turn off the house’s whole power supply.
- Simply flip the switch once you’ve selected the suitable breaker.
- Check the LED indicator to ensure there is no electricity to the outlet.
- If there are no indications, you can examine the circuit with a volt meter or an ammeter.
2. Removing the Fixture Housing
The fixture must be taken apart beforehand before moving on to the next procedures. This is usually done because it makes the installation easier, as well as providing you with the access to the switch.
How to remove the fixture housing?
- Set up a ladder or a stool, that elevates you to the necessary height to proceed with the operations at ease.
- Remove the bulb beforehand to prevent any damage to it. Simply unscrew them and place them on a towel or soft material somewhere.
- You may use gloves as often times these bulbs are pretty heated due to their use.
- A few visible screws will hold the ceiling fan’s fixture, or the main housing where the wire is kept, together. Remove these screws with a screwdriver, releasing the fixture so you can examine the wire and switch.
- Place the screws and detachable fixture component in a secure place until you’re ready to reconnect them.
- Look for a tiny nut on the fixture’s outside. To get access to the ceiling fan pull chain switch, unscrew this nut entirely. Place the nut in a safe place as you’ll need this to screw back the switch again.
3. Removing and Fixing the Broken Pull Chain
Knowing how to remove the broken pull chain is a must to know how to fix pull chain on ceiling fan light. You can either fix your broken pull chain or if it is completely damaged, you can replace the entire switch.
How to remove the old pull chain?
- If the chain appears to be changeable, instead of acquiring a new one, use a longer piece of chain you currently own to repair it.
- If the switch appears to be damaged, get a replacement from a nearby hardware store.
- Pop open the switch using a small screwdriver and remove it.
- Remove the spring and the broken piece of chain attached to a disc from the switch’s contents.
- Using a screwdriver, pry the broken chain off the disc.
- Replace the small broken chain with a longer chain that will extend through the fixture, just like you did with the original chain.
- Replace the spring and chain that are attached to the disc in the switch. Pull the chain through the hole in the switch to make it easier to pull on.
- Replace the switch in the wires in the same manner as you removed it. Make sure the switch is near to the location where you unscrewed the nut from the fixture’s exterior.
- To keep the switch in place, tighten the nut.
If you’re wondering how do you fix a ceiling fan that won’t pull the chain, you can try these steps in order to fix the issue.
4. Replacing the Broken Pull Chain
If your pull chain switch is damaged and cannot be repaired, you have to replace the switch entirely. You can easily buy a similar switch from your local hardware store.
How to replace the pull switch?
- Remove the wires that are connected to the old switch. The wires will be disconnected from the old switch by pulling or twisting off the connections that keep them together.
- Pull out the connections on each wire connected to the old switch, and then remove the old switch.
- To connect the wires, remove 0.5–0.75 in (1.3–1.9 cm) of insulation.
- Remove the insulation from the ends of the wires attached to the new switch with a wire stripper, cutting through the insulation with the stripper before dragging it towards the wire’s end to remove it.
- Locate the old wires that your new wires will connect to and securely twist them together clockwise. Many cables are color-coded, making it simple to connect the right ones.
- Place the section of the fixture you removed on top of the wiring once you’ve reinstalled the switch. Hold it firmly while using a screwdriver to replace the screws.
If you want to know how to wire a ceiling fan with light on a 3 way switch, these steps might be different in your case.
In this article, I’ve gone through all the necessary steps of how to fix pull chain on ceiling fan light. With all of the step-by-step instructions offered in this post, I’m certain that anyone can fix or replace a damaged pull chain.
Exercise extreme caution while working with electricity. Even though the responsibilities are simple, failure to carry them out effectively might result in catastrophic damage. Stay vigilant and take all necessary precautions before engaging in any electrical activity on your own.