If you’re a handy person in the construction or manufacturing industry, you’ve likely come across both DeWalt and Black and Decker power tools. But can DeWalt and Black and Decker batteries be used interchangeably?
The short answer is no, DeWalt and Black and Decker 20V batteries are not interchangeable. These batteries are designed specifically for use with the tools of their respective brands.
In this article, the reasons why DeWalt and Black and Decker 20V batteries are not interchangeable will be discussed along with some tips for using and maintaining these batteries.
DeWalt 20V Battery Features and Specification
DeWalt 20V batteries come in different categories such as Max and Max XR, as well as a variety of ampere ratings such as 4 AH, 5 AH, 6AH, 8 AH etc.
An appropriate battery has to be chosen according to the specification and requirement of your specific power tool. If the ratings are not compatible with our tool, it will affect your tool in a harmful manner.
There are 3 categories of DeWalt tools which use the 20V batteries. They are as below.
- 20V Max: Contains a brushed motor, are usually less efficient, possible for the brushes to wear out but pretty durable according to user reviews.
- 20V Max Brushless: Better than the 20V Max series, due to them being brushless no possibility of wearing out.
- 20V Max XR: Newer updated version of the brushless motor variant created with a view to achieving a greater runtime than before.
But in terms of DeWalt 20V batteries, there are 2 categories.
- 20V Max: The common 20V battery for the DeWalt 20V tools which come in a variety of ampere ratings.
- 20V Max XR: Even though the voltage of a DeWalt 20V Max and DeWalt 20V Max XR is the same, 9 out of 10 times, the XR will outrun the regular 20V Max. This is because the XR has been modified and updated to deliver power in a more efficient way.
- With a 3 LED fuel gauge indicator, the state of charge is easily visible.
- Overcharge protection, short circuit protection, and temperature protection, to ensure the safety of the user and the battery.
- Onboard fuel gauge allows you to check the battery’s charge level without removing it.
- A quick charge feature allows you to charge the battery in a shorter amount of time.
- Designed to perform well in cold weather conditions.
Black and Decker 20V Battery Features and Specification
Similar to DeWalt 20V batteries, Black and Decker batteries also come in a variety of ampere ratings such as 1.5 AH, 2 AH, 3AH, 4 AH etc. If the ratings are incompatible with your tool, it will have a negative impact.
There only one category of Black and Decker portable power tools which use the 20V batteries.
20V Max* Tools: Compared to DeWalt tools, Black and Decker tools tend to be more cheap in terms of both price and build quality and are less durable than their DeWalt counterparts.
This is understandable as they come in a way cheaper price range.
Do DeWalt batteries fit in Black and Decker? No they do not. They feature extremely similar battery connectors that are purposely meant to be incompatible. They don’t want a craftsman to go out and buy a cheap Black & Decker tool and use their DeWalt batteries in it.
They also don’t want long-lasting DeWalt batteries to be used in low-end equipment. Low-cost tools must have a limited battery life. That is how the business models work.
Taking a look at Black and Decker 20V batteries, there are 2 categories.
- 20V Max*: The common 20V battery for the Black and Decker 20V Max* tools which come in a wide range of ampere ratings.
- 20V Max* Bluetooth: Same as a 20V Max* battery but with added features such as the capability to connect to the Black and Decker mobile app, which helps to lock and monitor your tools as well as charging your mobile devices on the go.
- Lightweight Lithium battery technology is used to manufacture this battery.
- The Bluetooth version features several useful functions such as the security and safety of your tool alongside providing your mobile devices with power in a portable fashion.
- Advertised as long lasting and durable.
- Designed to be compact and lightweight, making them easy to use and carry around.
- Special features include resistant to impact, vibration, and temperature extremes.
Are DeWalt 20v Batteries Interchangeable with Black and Decker?
The short answer is NO, DeWalt 20V batteries are not interchangeable with Black and Decker batteries due to the fact that both have different physical form factors alongside technical capabilities.
But, are DeWalt 20V batteries interchangeable with other brands? The answer again is sadly, no.
Let’s take a look at the key distinctions that prevent the interchanging of these two batteries.
As can be seen from the above picture (Fig-1), DeWalt & Black and Decker batteries have different amount of contact pins. The DeWalt battery has 5 pins (Fig-1. a) whereas the Black and Decker battery has 4 pins (Fig-1. b).
DeWalt 20V batteries are available in a range of capacities, ranging from 1.5Ah to 9.0Ah, while Black and Decker 20V batteries are available in capacities ranging from 1.5Ah to 4.0Ah.
Apart from the connectors, we can also see that the slots for hooking into the tool are also different in both of these batteries (Fig-2). Hence, it is not possible to fit them on a tool of a different brand.
DeWalt batteries have a slightly longer lifespan and may be able to power larger and more powerful tools compared to Black and Decker batteries.
Can I Use Adapters to Interchange the Batteries?
Yes, it is possible to use adapters to use a DeWalt battery on a Black and Decker tool and vice versa. With the help of adapters, we can hook up almost anything together these days.
Even when trying to wire an extension cord to a car battery, you might need the help of adapters.
However, it is not always advised for the batteries, as they have different specifications and so do the tools. Let’s take a look at some of these adapters.
X-Adapter for Black and Decker 20V Max*:
Using this adapter (Fig-3) you can use your DeWalt batteries with your Black and Decker tools.
The bottom of the adapter is suited for DeWalt batteries, and at the top, it has 4 pins and the slot to fit a Black and Decker tool.
Adapter for DeWalt Tool, B&D Battery Adapter:
Using this adapter (Fig-4) you can use your Black and Decker batteries with your DeWalt tools.
The bottom of the adapter is suited for Black and Decker batteries, and at the top the slot has been modified to fit a DeWalt tool.
Since DeWalt & Black and Decker batteries have different electrical and mechanical specifications and proprietary technologies, it can affect their performance and compatibility with different brands of power tools.
It can potentially damage the tool or the battery, or even pose a safety risk. Therefore, it’s best to only use the batteries that are specifically designed for use with your power tools to ensure optimal performance.